Wednesday, September 7, 2011

ANOTHER BLOG...ABOUT FOOD???

If you are here, I would not blame you if you are rolling your eyes. Another food blog? Really? Yes, it is true. My blog is lacking creativity and personality. However, my blog is just that, MY blog. And while I seriously hope someone finds even one post beneficial, I really just needed a place to hold myself accountable for my health decisions.

What? Health talk too? This is getting worse and worse. This post is my first step towards admitting I do have control over my health. After diagnosed with Crohn's, I worried less about what the disease could do to me, than what I could do to stop the disease. From everything I read, and from my experiences, I felt so helpless. There was not a cure. Some medicines worked for me, some did not. Certain foods irritated me, certain foods did not. On certain days. During certain years. Sometimes. Crohn's became my worse enemy because I believed I had lost control, and I hated it.

So, I accepted my fate and decided I would just feel "bad" for the rest of my life. A little dramatic? Yes, but I have never been known for my subtlety.

Recently, I starting reading people on the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation's Facebook page talk about fighting Crohn's disease with diet. Specifically, the Specific Carbohydrate Diet ("SCD") My reaction was strange. Basically, who do these people think they are? Doctors and scientists have studied this disease for years and there are ZERO studies that have proven diet and Crohn's are related. ZERO. I associated these people with witch doctors, took a bite of my baguette, and closed my internet browser. Mmmm...Bread...

Curiosity killed the cat...and my love affair with carbs, sugar, and everything "yummy." I decided to read into this "diet" and see what these "quacks" had to say. And damn it, it made sense. And people swore by it. A lot of people. So, I stared at the computer and realized maybe I was wrong. Maybe doctors are wrong??? Gasp! And if we are wrong, that means I could feel better. Maybe even normal...

As I am sure you gathered, I tried the diet. I will explain the diet in detail later, but I want to explain why I am putting by blabbering in ink. I tried the diet for two weeks. For anyone who knows how much I love food, I know you are applauding. Two weeks. No cheating. Making funfetti cupcakes for my nephew Alex WITHOUT licking my fingers. Chipotle without tortillas, or even worse, RICE. No diet coke. NO BREAD!!!!! Just typing it is painful! ;) And as painful as the diet was, the most painful part was admitting that is was working. I had more energy. My stomach problems were slowing going away. It was working :/

But, I cheated. I mean, I had planned to cheat, so it was okay. Right? Michael's birthday came around and I, I mean Michael, wanted cake. Long story short and a ten-pound cake later, I was starting to feel crumby again. So, here we are. Back on the wagon, and I really WANT to eat SCD legal. I realize that that I cannot always eat this way. If anyone can, I will carve a statue out of fruits and vegetables and erect it in their honor. STILL, I want to try. And I figure, the best way to do my best, is to share what I am eating with the WORLD, knowing "world" is a relative term, and no one will read this but my husband (when forced) and my family.

In sum, and with the reality everyone reading this is asleep on their computers, follow me on the ups and downs of taking control of my illness and eating on the SCD.

No comments:

Post a Comment